[smc-discuss] Fwd: Bits from the DPL - May 2015

Balasankar C balasankarc at autistici.org
Tue May 19 13:04:32 PDT 2015

-------- Original Message --------
From: Neil McGovern <neilm at debian.org>
Sent: 20 May 2015 1:31:42 am IST
To: debian-devel-announce at lists.debian.org
Subject: Bits from the DPL - May 2015

Hi all,

I've now been in post for a month, so here's my update of things from
the land of the DPL!

Release
-------

In case anyone didn't notice, we released Jessie! \o/ A huge thanks to
everyone involved in the release - we certainly made a large splash with
this, and it looks like it's being very warmly received.
During this, I had a video call with one of the Indian release parties,
where they had a great Debian themed cake to celebrate. [0]

For those who want to re-live the event, there's a large number of
photos on the Release Party page [1]

[0] http://lists.smc.org.in/pipermail/discuss-smc.org.in/attachments/20150426/85b6722e/attachment-0001.pdf
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/ReleasePartyJessie

Interviews
----------

I've done a number of interviews since my election, and I've a couple
more to go. The currently published ones are:
* ITWire [2]
* Linux.com [3]

To be published soon are:
* FSFE fellowship interview
* Linux Voice magazine
* http://www.mylinuxrig.com/

[2] http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/67827-new-debian-leader-wants-to-improve-communications
[3] https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/829303-new-debian-project-leader-talks-open-source-careers-ppas-and-more

libdvdcss and ZFS on Linux
--------------------------

I'm continuing discussions with various groups about this (namely
FTPMasters, SFLC, FSF and hopefully soon the Linux Foundation), but it's
a bit more complicated than it initially seemed. I'll continue to look
at this, but I'm not guaranteeing any timescales for resolution.

Other ongoing issues
--------------------

Following from on the tradition set by Stefano and Lucas, a daily log of
what I've been up to are available to DDs on
master.d.o:/srv/leader/news.

I hope to shortly publish a todo list, but I'm trying to work out a
better way of mangling public and private parts without maintaining two
lists.

Speak soon,
Neil

--