[smc-discuss] Malayalam Automatic translation

Hussain KH hussain.rachana at gmail.com
Sun May 17 23:57:54 PDT 2015

Wonderful!!

Yesterday I received a Malayalam message from my friend. I tried the google
auto translation. The  message and its translation are pasted here.

"പ്രിയപ്പെട്ട ഹുസൈൻ മാഷിന്,

ഇന്നലെ ഹുസൈൻ മാഷെ വിളിച്ചു സംസാരിക്കണമെന്നു തോന്നിയിരുന്നു.. ഫോൺ
വിളിച്ചപ്പോൾ കിട്ടുന്നില്ല.. എന്താണെന്നറിയില്ല നമ്പർ മാറിയതാണോന്നും
അറിയൂല.. നമ്പർ ഒന്നു കൂടെ തന്നാൽ സന്തോഷം... :)"

"Hussain favorite ture,

Nobody has told Hussein appeared yesterday called the phone is not getting
called, Man .. .. .. No. No. മാറിയതാണോന്നും അറിയൂല lose the joy with one
... :)"

Friends,

CDac, Thiruvananthapuram has been trying to develop algorithms for
automatic translation for Malayalam for a decade and often they were
telling in public seminars that they have achieved 50% or 60% (as in the
case of Malayalam OCR). Many money and talents have been spent for the
research. I was telling from the very beginning that Malayalam is not a
language like English of French and the efforts and methodology should be
completely re-checked and redefined, other wise you are not going to
achieve a satisfactory result in hundred years. I think Google is also
travelling in the same wrong direction.