[smc-discuss] [X post] One more step close to complete freedom, removed google apps from my phone

Pirate Praveen praveen at onenetbeyond.org
Fri Oct 9 21:39:47 PDT 2015

I have moved away from google and I strongly recommend all of you to do the same. It is mostly a psychological barrier. The features we miss can be added to Free Software collectively, but loss of privacy can never be compensated.

Privacy is a human right and everyone deserves privacy.

1. I use duckduckgo.com for search
ixquick.com is another option

2. I never signed up for google plus (or twitter). I deleted Facebook account and WhatsApp. I use diaspora, xmpp and kontalk

I'm part of the team that runs poddery.com and diasp.in (diaspora+xmpp). You are invited to register and start enjoying freedom (poddery.com is full, but we have space on diasp.in). There is also many public pods listed at podupti.me

Use conversations + kontalk for messaging. I hope to be able to make both of them interoperable soon. Let me know if you want to help.

3. I moved to autistici.org for email. This was the hardest. You have options of using many community run email services. disroot.org, openmailbox.org (also provide many other services like xmpp and owncloud) or riseup.net

4. I use cloud.libreinfra.org for address book sync (its run by a group of friends sharing a vps).

5. I flashedd my yu yuphoria phone and installed cyanogen mod without google apps. No google play, I use only fdroid.

6. I use k9 mail + open keychain for gpg