[smc-discuss] [Fsmk-discuss] [fosscomm] [X post] One more step close to complete freedom, removed google apps from my phone

Kishan Gupta kishan at kishangupta.com
Sat Oct 10 18:15:56 PDT 2015

On Oct 10, 2015 2:37 PM, "kk" <krmane at gmail.com> wrote:

> What about google maps?
> I don't see a totally free (as in freedom ) app available to match it so
far?

One intermediate solution is to use OSM when possible, but if Google Maps
is required, use the maps.google.com website. It's slower than the app, but
it works well enough. Its mobile interface is good too.

This way you can keep your phone fully free (other than the non-free Maps
website loaded in your browser), still use Google Maps and also make sure
that your location information is only sent to Google if and when you want
it to be (your browser asks for consent before sending your location).

I've been doing this for a while now and it works well enough for me. Of
course, eventually the hope is to only use OSM or other free projects for
maps, but this solution provides a smoother way to switch.

Kishan