[smc-discuss] [X-post] WhatsApp is end to end encrypted now

Jishnu jishnu7 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:11:46 PDT 2016

"A closer look at the terms and conditions reveals that WhatsApp is not
encrypting everything. Buried in the fine print is this line: “WhatsApp may
retain date and time stamp information associated with successfully
delivered messages and the mobile phone numbers involved in the messages,
as well as any other information which WhatsApp is legally compelled to
collect.”
What this means is that while the contents of the actual messages are
encrypted and not stored on WhatsApp servers, it still leaves plenty of
information up for grabs. This includes the date, time and recipient
numbers, information which can later be made available upon government
request, should the need arise."

http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/Xs9trQc9cfPjE3Q6NhAJYJ/What-WhatsApp-is-not-encrypting.html

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 7:40 PM, Aboobacker MK <aboobackervyd at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Kunjappu Abhijith.R <gadha1998 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If they don’t store messages on the server, how does web.whatsapp.com
>> work?
>>
> Web version of Whatsapp works by communicating with mobile client , you
> can't use web version if mobile client is not connected to internet
>

>> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Pirate Praveen <praveen at onenetbeyond.org
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> But its still proprietary and centralized.
>>>
>>> Use Signal/Kontalk or an XMPP client like Conversations.
>>>
>>> https://whispersystems.org/blog/whatsapp-complete/>>>
>>> My comment https://poddery.com/posts/2369832
>>> --
>>> Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

> *Aboobacker MK*
> Software Engineer, Foradian
> w:www.aboobacker.in

Regards,