[smc-discuss] Malayalam typesetting

Rajeesh K V rajeeshknambiar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 14:01:43 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 7:55 AM, Junise Safvan <junisesafvan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Malayalam typesetting using Xetex as described by Santhosh
> Thottingal
> <http://thottingal.in/blog/2014/07/20/typesetting-malayalam-using-xetex/>.
>
> When I tried to copy the text from pdf created from Xetex, I am not
> getting the entire text.

I don't think it is quite possible to copy the text as individual code
points because of the sheer nature of how ligatures are stored
(represented) in PDF. See this for a short introduction/discussion on the
topic -
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/33476/why-cant-fi-be-separated-when-being-copied-from-a-compiled-pdf
I remember there was some discussion on the same topic elsewhere, can't
remember if it was in ConTeXt mailing list or somewhere in SMC channels,
but my fading memory tells there were some discussion to enable the feature
in PDF standard (I could be completely off here).

--
Rajeesh
http://rajeeshknambiar.wordpress.com