[smc-discuss] [OFFTOPIC] Kek Woodworking Worskhop - Online Design event : February 21

Ashik Salahudeen aashiks at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 23:30:17 PST 2016

WHEN : February 21 9AM-6PM  #hackbeach on  irc.oftc.net
WHO : Anyone with design skills and armed with a CAD program.
WHY : Read on to find out

Hello friends,

KeK(http://kek.org.in) is used by people who like to make things and help
people learn to make things.

Peer learning by demonstration is our preferred format. The base exists as
a physical space which can facilitate this p2p interaction in a safe, clean
and stimulating environment.

In its brief existence, KeK is what the people who have used the space so
far. These people are from various fields of expertise, and get them to
share their knowledge as well as gain new insights of their own.

KeK is locally challenged by a class divide in its immediate neighborhood,
which needs to be transcended, to be truly inclusive. This requires people
to use the space continuously as a working environment.

However, if you have visited Kek, you may have noticed that while there is
plenty of space, the premises are furnished with a bare minimum.

We, as the maker community that make up Kek, can do something about it,
true to the maker spirit.

===== How ? =====

Furniture making is not as arduous a task as it was before, when it took
serious carpentry knowledge to cut and assemble things.

These days we have the luxury of accessing openly shared designs and using
a CNC machine to cut and mill wood to specification. All that remains then
would be to assemble them.

For a better idea :

  - http://makezine.com/2014/03/18/open-source-furniture-2/
  - https://www.opendesk.cc/
  - http://obrary.com/collections/open-designs
  - http://atfab.co/cnc-furniture/
  - https://openmaking.is/
  - https://www.thingiverse.com/

We can use our collective intellectual resources to pick viable designs and
run this as a maker event and gift the end results to Kek. This is a great
opportunity to come together, learn, teach and make a meaningful gesture to
the society.

===== Okay what do we do now ? =====

What are you waiting for ? Fire up your CAD programs and lets see what we
come up with.

Share your designs at https://www.thingiverse.com/, under a  Creative
Commons license.

We have a deadline  for finalizing designs  : 21 February 2016

Regards,
Ashik