[smc-discuss] പദകോശം

Akshay S Dinesh asdofindia at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 22:49:03 PDT 2017

വിഷു ആശംസകള്‍.

I've been seeing activity on https://gitlab.com/smc/padakosham repository
for some time now. I believe the list needs to know what's going on.

The description says "This is an effort to build a detailed Malayalam -
Malayalam dictionary with the help of school students. This project will
act as a stepping stone for the school students to the field of Malayalam
computing"

Then there's the readme:
"IT at school is starting IT Clubs in schools all across Kerala. One of the
major activities being planned is building a Malayalam - Malayalam
dictionary (which may be extended to a multi-lingual dictionary in the
future). This project is designed to pique the interest of students in
software products while also being a useful project for the general public.
This would be an ideal project to build a data-rich, crowd-source
dictionary and, if executed properly, this could act as a cornerstone for
other Malayalam computing applications. "

To that, there was a hackathon on 25th-26th March and this padakosham app
was built.

It's deployed to https://dictionary.smc.org.in/ and according to my mom
who's an IT teacher getting trained by IT at school now, some students were
taught to add words to it before vacation started and the rest of the
students will start adding words after vacation ends and schools reopen.

I believe Hrishi or someone else can give more details.

Akshay