[smc-discuss] Moving SMC Website to GitLab Pages

Balasankar C balasankarc at autistici.org
Wed Jan 25 23:49:30 PST 2017

Hi all,

As most of you know we had a server outage recently that left our website
inaccessible for three days. There was an informal discussion and everyone
kinda agreed it is better to make it git-oriented and use GitLab Pages for
deployment. Especially because we use GitLab.com as our code hosting
solution. We temporarily tried GitLab Pages that and it worked fine, during
the outage. If everyone is ok with that, I will setup GitLab Pages on our
website repo
and redirect smc.org.in to that.

I have already enabled CI in all font repos, so that pushes to font repos
will generate ttfs, which will be available as build artifacts. These can
be used to link from font page, that saves us from manually uploading new
versions of fonts.

Also, Akshay is scraping off spam from our wiki. We can also consider
migrating that to something static and git-oriented. But we should decide
what to do about history of pages (I am of the opinion, we can preserve the
backup db and just ignore about the history while migrating)

PS: This will include moving the font-page repo to the main website repo. I
tried merging the font-page repo to the fonts subfolder of main repo, and
the result is available in
https://gitlab.com/smc-website/smc-website.gitlab.io. If that looks fine,
we can just transfer that project to smc namespace.

Regards
Balasankar C