[smc-discuss] [fosscomm] [x-post] Half page news in Indian Express Thiruvananthapuram edition about our GNU/Linux install fest

Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 05:26:33 PDT 2017

You people got the right person as the Chief Guest who could get media
attention. That should have helped, apart from the fact that the WannaCry
problem had drawn the attention of the media to software problems. Anyway,
you people did a great job. Hope you can keep it up.

Sasi

On 12 June 2017 at 17:16, Pirate Praveen <praveen at onenetbeyond.org> wrote:

> A GNU/Linux Install Fest along with free software awareness programme
> was conducted in State Central Library Hall, Palayam Thiruvananthapuram
> on 10 June 2017 Saturday. It was sponsored by ICFOSS and State Central
> Library and assisted by SPACE. About 70 people including 19 volunteers
> 45 participants attended the programme. The programme began by 9.30
> a.m.** Dr Achuthsankar S Nair**, Head of the department of
> Bioinformatics and Computational Biology inaugurated the install fest
> and spoke about the history of free software movement in Kerala and need
> of free software usage. Mujeeb Rahman took a a presentation of the
> different Gnu/Linux operating systems installation procedure. He also
> took a class on Malayalam computing and type setting using the free
> software called Scribus. Partcipants brought their laptops and those
> where installed with different Gnu/Linux operating systems by the
> volunteers. The installation team was led by Praveen Arimbrathodiyil, a
> pioneer of Free Software movement in Kerala. A demo of the the operating
> systems like Linux Mint, Ubuntu (IT at School), Debian, Elementary etc was
> also set in the hall. The users were allowed to try them according to
> their wish and Athul explained the features of each OS and the softwares
> installed in them for different uses. The install fest was ended by 1.30
> p.m.
>
> A news about the programme is published in today’s(12/06/2017) The New
> Indian Express newspaper, Thiruvananthapuram edition.
> http://epaper.newindianexpress.com/m5/1241141/The-New-Indian-
> Express-Thiruvananthapuram/12-06-2017#page/15/1
>
> See post by Athul https://poddery.com/posts/3114724

V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India
Blog: https://swatantryam.wordpress.com/ <http://swatantryam.blogspot.com/>