[smc-discuss] Be a pioneer – delete Facebook

Pirate Praveen praveen at onenetbeyond.org
Thu Apr 12 23:28:35 PDT 2018

On April 11, 2018 1:17:12 PM GMT+05:30, Anivar Aravind <anivar.aravind at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi Praveen,
>
>I personally took the call and deleted my facebook page and profile (in
>fact profile was deactivated from December 2016 itself)

Congratulations! I hope this inspires more people to follow your example.

>I think SMC should also do the same , but not as an immediate Knee-jerk
>reaction.
>
>Facebook page help us to engage with around 6000 people at least
>interested
>in our work.
>
>We need to build another outreach medium prior to this deletion and
>bring
>our audience to new platforms.
>
>Deleting without providing an alternative to know our work is not an
>option.
>
>I think we need to build this infra first, publish a Facebook post and
>blog
>post  announcing this migration, and ensure and help in migrations even
>with direct messaging/followups

Okay, this is much better than earlier arguments of being neutral and justifying it as just broadcast medium.

>We can delete facebook if 75% of existing Facebook audience are
>converted
>to other modes for receiving SMC update.

I don't agree with this though. Giving notice to people is reasonable but expecting 75% as a cut off is not reasonable.

>For this, we need to finish Mailing list Movement, Newsletter
>subscription
>ready  as a prerequisite
>
>We are not Elon Musk, Jim Carry and Steve Vozniac. There is no reason
>for
>leaving hard earned audience interested in work overtime with volunteer
>efforts. we need to move them along with us

I was contrasting those who are not talking about politics of technology and those who are supposed to be a group of people with people's rights in their main agenda.