[smc-discuss] Malayalam Annotated Corpus released

Ashik aashiks at aashiks.in
Sun Apr 15 22:09:27 PDT 2018

Pirate Praveen <praveen at onenetbeyond.org> writes:

>> I do nt have any idea about the legality of this licence. It is an
>> outcome of Govt funded project.
>> I think you do not worry much about it.
>> It was funded by Deity. So they have the ownership ultimately.
>
> Hi Jahfar,
>
> You can try to convince them to release it under a Free Software license.
>
> Thanks
> Praveen

Licensing is a problem. If the license is unclear, any work that we base
off off this is going to be wasteful. So far, the government has had a
primitive stance on licensing. Unless this is licensed under some form
of free as in freedom license, I find it worthless as a community
asset. I am not going to touch it with a long pole, and I caution
against the dangers of assuming that we don't have to worry much.

I am with Praveen on this.

--
aashik