[smc-discuss] Fwd: [l10n-web] [Common Voice]: Website to launch on May 1

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 23:39:13 PDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peiying Mo <pmo at mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 2:33 AM
Subject: [l10n-web] [Common Voice]: Website to launch on May 1
To: "localization, Mozilla" <dev-l10n-web at lists.mozilla.org>

Hello Localizers,

First of all, we wish to thank everyone who has been involved in the effort
to localize Common Voice so far. Because of your efforts we are 60%+
translated in 30 languages, and we are getting more translations every
single day. Your speed and proficiency far and away exceeded our
expectations. You are all amazing!

And now for the big news: we want to officially turn on multi-language
support for the production website on May 1st. All the string changes we
need for this launch should now be in Pontoon, please check your dashboard
for new strings and string suggestions pending approval. Any language that
makes it to 100% before May 1st will be part of our launch. But don't
worry, we deploy to production often so we will continually turn on new
languages as they reach 100%.

To get an idea of what multi-language Common Voice will look like, check
out our languages page on our staging server. Please keep in mind that we
still have more (non-localization) work to do before we can start
collecting voice data in these new languages. The biggest hurdle will be
collecting public domain sentences for people to read. See our discourse
post for more info about that if you're interested.

Again, we wish to thank you for all your help. Common Voice's main goal has
always been to enable more people around the world to take part in high
quality, open-source speech technology. Because of you we are taking a big
step in that direction come May 1st.

More to come soon!
Michael, Gregor, and Peiying, the Common Voice team