[smc-discuss] Be a pioneer – delete Facebook

Pirate Praveen praveen at onenetbeyond.org
Tue Apr 10 23:23:49 PDT 2018

On April 11, 2018 10:14:55 AM GMT+05:30, Ashik <aashiks at aashiks.in> wrote:
>Aboobacker MK <aboobackervyd at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> As long as we aren't promoting facebook, and using it as just one of
>our
>> channel to share our work, I think there is no reason to delete our
>> official FB page.
>>
>I agree with this approach. If we treat Facebook as a broadcast channel
>and as a support channel, but not our primary channel, then we are
>good. I believe this is how we operate now.
>
>I don't recommend deleting SMC's FB page.

I have generally accepted (or was more lenient towards) such arguments before Cambridge Analytica happened. But I think the time has come to make a stronger stand. It will be a huge disservice to the society if we continue to look at it as 'what do we get from Facebook' only. We have always been leading voice in protecting people's digital rights and not just developing some tools.

If that is the general feeling of everyone, I think it makes sense for me to distance myself from official association with SMC as an organization. It will seriously hamper my arguments if I ask other organizations to leave Facebook as they will see it as hippocracy.

And I don't want to be in a position to having to defend SMC's Facebook page when I should be strongly advocating everyone to leave Facebook.

I will continue as a volunteer without any official role.