[smc-discuss] PDF -Whether it is an input file or an output file?

Nandakumar Edamana nandakumar at nandakumar.co.in
Mon Jan 22 16:00:49 PST 2018

Hi,

On Monday 22 January 2018 11:03 PM, Kavya Manohar wrote:
> The attached file is generated using hb-view command. Selection and
> search are possible. Haven't tried OCR.
This was exactly what we were looking for! Yes, I was also able to
generate a good Malayalam PDF using hb-view command. It does an
excellent job. Here are some test results:

* I could copy the text when opened in Evince and Ocular
* Couldn't copy when opened in Firefox (should not be the issue with the
generator)
* Orca didn't read it in Evince, Okular and Firefox. Again, not a
problem with the generator, I hope.

Thanks for the sample, BTW!

Although the metadata says that the generator is cairo, I think the real
magic is done by the text rendering/layout engine. Cairo is just a
vector drawing library, which can serve rendering engines also. Am I right?

Nandakumar Edamana