[smc-discuss] Weblate Instance For SMC

Subin subins2000 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 11:12:10 PDT 2019

Hi !

I tried to translate KDE some months back and found the whole process a
bit hard for a newcomer. This is the process of KDE Malayalam
Localization <https://wiki.smc.org.in/KDE_Malayalam> :

  * Pick a file from here
    <https://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kde4/team/ml/>
  * Make sure that file hasn't already been translated by looking in the
    SVN repo <https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/ml/messages/>
  * Add your name and the file you're translating to the wiki
    <https://wiki.smc.org.in/KDE-4.7_Sprint>
  * To mark the file for review, edit the entry and make the text *bold*
  * The maintainer has to make the entry /italic/ when they commits the
    file and when the status page
    <http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kde4/team/ml/> changes, has to
    remove the entry from the wiki.

The above existing system is complicated and people who just want to
translate quickly will find it tiresome. It also takes *too much time*.

I checked into KDE and each team has a separate workflow of translation.
Some teams uses an online translation software, others do it offline
etc. At the end output of each team gets committed upstream.

What if we Malayalam team also have a system like this. I'm proposing a
Weblate instance under SMC which initially will have KDE and add more
projects in future. When we have a simple tool like this, more people
will be encouraged to translate. The current complicated process is a
hindrance for new people coming to translation.

--
Subin Siby <subinsb.com>