[smc-discuss] Public statement by Rachana Institute of Typography

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 05:14:30 PST 2019

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 5:19 PM Ashik <aashiks at aashiks.in> wrote:

> Akshay S Dinesh <asdofindia at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Our response has been published here:
> >
> > https://blog.smc.org.in/font-licensing-response-to-rit/
> >

> Following up on this, I think we should show faith and do what we said
> about inviting RIT to be an institutional contributor.
>
> We should invite RIT to maintain Rachana, Meera, Uroob and Keraleeyam
> since these are primarily designed by Hussain mash and according to our own
> principles, the font designer decides how the font should be maintained and
> worked on.
>
> From what I understood, Hussain mash has a certain focus on what a font
> should be and we should help achieve that vision in all ways we can,
> starting by extending this invitation.
>
> Can we do this as soon as possible, to show our commitment ?

Since Hussain mash have a Foundry now and if he prefers to maintain fonts
at RIT, I think there are 2 options

1.  Continue to maintain fonts in SMC repo  by RIT
2.  Move them to RIT repo, if RIT prefers to manage them there (This needs
a migration plan,  but SMC repo will exist for archival purposes.)

I think both options should be open and available to Hussain Mash for an
informed decision.

I think there are few todos.

1. add FONTLOG
2. add app stream metadata for gnome (Balu's PR is pending
https://gitlab.com/groups/smc/fonts/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&author_username=balasankarc
)
3. Porting build script to use  Python3 Fontforge
4. Rachana Bold needs relicensing to OFL1.1 + GPLv3+FE, since same feature
file is powering both Rachana and Rachana Bold. When we prepared Rachana
Bold, it was not sharing same code base so opted OFL1.1 only for Rachana
Bold.  (https://gitlab.com/smc/fonts/rachana/issues/14)

I suggest to finish all these by end of this year . So we can limit the
copyright notice of SMC ending at 2019  (similar to
https://copyleft.org/guide copyright notices )  and new maintainers can
take over from 2020 onwards.

Anivar