[smc-discuss] GSoC 2020

Subin Siby subins2000 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 01:15:47 PST 2019

> You can see the old ideas at https://gitlab.com/indicproject/gsoc
-2017/blob/master/ideas-list.md but this year we may try to narrow down
focus to most impactful work rather than fancy ideas that become
unmaintained after GSoC.

I would very much like to work on porting libindic transliteration module
to JavaScript. My idea is to build a WebExtension for Firefox/chrome which
will automatically transliterate Indic language text if it finds one. Like
how Google Web Translate works, but with transliteration.

This will help a lot of Malayalees and other Indians who were brought up
not in India and can't read their mother language. I've seen this audience
mainly in reddit & twitter. So, yeah this is pretty impactful and I would
very much like to maintain it. I'm currently maintaining a similar Android
app Manglish <https://subinsb.com/manglish>.