[smc-discuss] Public statement by Rachana Institute of Typography

aashiks aashiks at aashiks.in
Tue Nov 26 04:30:17 PST 2019

On November 26, 2019 12:06:48 PM UTC, Anivar Aravind <anivar.aravind at gmail.com> wrote:
>Looks it is reproduced in Multiple places with the same content
>http://rachana.org.in/statement.html
>http://cvr.cc/?p=917
>
>I wish to see such discussions in the gitlab Issue tracker,
><https://gitlab.com/groups/smc/fonts/-/issues> since both Rajeesh and
>Santhosh are maintainers of font projects than a statement spead across
>the
>web.
>I dont understand how people who understand technology can make public
>allegations on volunteer contributions without even filing an issue.
>
>As a person went through the codebases in 2014-15 for relicensing
>efforts,
>I know there is no room for ambiguity till that point. And I don't find
>value in most of these allegations raised in the statement
>But I value the fact that we need timely reviews on licensing and
>separating feature files from fonts, over the technology progress over
>the
>last few years.
>
>Anyway, the following sentence needs attention, since RIT is a new
>foundry
>making use of technology developed by SMC contributors.
>
>"This surrounds the fonts by SMC  and RIT  in Fear, Uncertainty and
>Doubt
>(which the corporate proprietary companies successfully used against
>free
>software for years) and put all the individual users and organizations
>and
>developers using these fonts under legal risk and moral ambiguity."
>
>I wish RIT (Hussain mash/Rajeesh) reached out for clarification
>organizationally/in this community than raising such misplaced FUD. As
>an
>organization, we need to clarify this
>
>I propose 3 ToDos. It will be good if active contributors can volunteer
>verify these.

I volunteer myself for this effort, as someone who has been around for a long time with SMC. I'd like to ask Akshay, Aboobacker, Joice and Balu to volunteer too. As another long time member I'd ask Anoop P (Gnoop) to join in. I believe we can verify and validate claims regarding SMCs fonts and licensing and recommend a proper way forward, crediting everyone and making sure that nobody is left bereft of appropriate credit.

If you guys are agreeable I can organized a task force and see that issues are discussed and resolved within our issue tracker.

>1. Move each of Rajeesh's font licensing allegations to corresponding
>gitlab issues. Go through the codebases and resolve them thereafter
>going
>through codebases on its merit
>2. Do a Licensing Review on each fonts, (This is pending after 2015)
>Follow
>best practices for AUTHORS & CONTRIBUTORS credits.   Avoid mentioning
>names
>in LICENSE files
>3. Separate feature table licensing, (maintaining it with the font is
>hard). Let's come up with a clear HOWTO on reusing the code (eg: RIT or
>other foundries). So adoption becomes easy.
>
>on Point 4, I see a disturbing wrong articulation of my points raised
>in
>this list in past. So want to clarify the baselines clearly.
>1. Glyph formation is a language property,  it is not copyrightable
>2. Glyph naming conventions is an innovation. But not copyrightable
>since
>it is an idea (Software is not patentable)
>3. Font feature tables as code is an expression and carry copyright to
>its
>authors. Copyright and License are to be preserved while reusing.

We would take these into account and produce a proper report as well. All the key people mentioned in the statement are an integral part of SMC and its history.

Persobally, I see this as something that could've been resolved in the organisation, and its pitiable that it had to come out this way.

--

Aashiks

>Anivar
>
>On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 4:38 PM Hrishi <hrishi.kb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> നമസ്കാരം,
>>
>> രചന ഇൻസ്റ്റിറ്റ്യൂട്ട് ഓഫ് ടെൿനോളജി പുറത്തിറക്കിയ പുതിയഫോണ്ട്
>> TN Joy യുടെ ബിൽഡ് സ്ക്രിപ്റ്റുകൾ, ടെസ്റ്റുകൾ,  ഫീച്ചർ ഫയലുകൾ
>എന്നിവയിലെ
>> കോണ്ട്രിബ്യൂഷനുകൾ ക്രെഡിറ്റ് ചെയ്യുന്നതുമായി ബന്ധപ്പെട്ട്
>സന്തോഷേട്ടനും
>> രജീഷേട്ടനും തമ്മിൽ ഒരു പ്രൈവറ്റ് ഗ്രൂപ്പിലും, തുടർന്ന്  ചില പ്രൈവറ്റ്
>മെയിൽ
>> സന്ദേശങ്ങളിലൂടെയും ചില ചർച്ചകൾ നടന്നിരുന്നു.
>>
>> അതിന്റെ തുടർച്ചായിട്ടാണെന്നു തോന്നുന്നു, രചന ഇൻസ്റ്റിറ്റ്യൂട്ട് ഓഫ്
>> ടെൿനോളജി ഒരു പബ്ലിൿ സ്റ്റേറ്റ്മെന്റ് ഇറക്കിയിട്ടുണ്ട്.   ഈ ചർച്ചകളുടെ
>> കാതലായ ഭാഗങ്ങൾ പ്രൈവറ്റ് മെയിൽ കോൺവർസേഷനുകളിലാണ് നടന്നിട്ടുള്ളത്
>എന്നതിനാൽ
>> അതിന്റെ വിവരങ്ങൾ ലഭ്യമല്ല.  എന്നാൽ ഈ പബ്ലിൿ സ്റ്റേറ്റ്മെന്റിൽ പറയുന്ന
>> ഫോണ്ടുകളിൽ‌ പലതും നമ്മൾ‌മെയിന്റെയിൻ‌ ചെയ്യുന്നതാണ്  എന്നതിനാലും ഇതിൽ
>> ഭാഗഭാക്കായവരിൽ ഭൂരിഭാഗം പേരും സ്വതന്ത്രമലയാളം കമ്പ്യൂട്ടിങ്
>പ്രവർത്തകരാണ്
>> എന്നതിനാലും  ഇതിൽ പറഞ്ഞിരിക്കുന്ന കാര്യങ്ങളും ആരോപണങ്ങളും ഈ ലിസ്റ്റിൽ
>> അറിയിക്കുകയും  സാധ്യമെങ്കിൽ ചർച്ച ചെയ്യുകയും ചെയ്യണമെന്ന് കരുതുന്നു.
>>
>> പ്രസ്തുത പബ്ലിൿ സ്റ്റേറ്റ്മെന്റ്  രജീഷേട്ടന്റെ ബ്ലോഗിൽ ഇവിടെ കാണാം.
>>

>https://rajeeshknambiar.wordpress.com/2019/11/25/public-statement-by-rachana-institute-of-typography-on-the-copyright-credit-issue-of-smc-and-rit-fonts/#b7
>>

>> ആരോഗ്യകരമായ ചർച്ചയും  തുടർന്ന് ഒരു സമവായവും ഉണ്ടാവുമെന്ന്
>> പ്രതീക്ഷിക്കുന്നു.
>> --
>> ---
>> Regards,
>> Hrishi | Stultus
>> http://stultus.in

Sent from my Android device with Librem Mail. Please excuse my brevity.