[smc-discuss] Public statement by Rachana Institute of Typography

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 04:06:48 PST 2019

Looks it is reproduced in Multiple places with the same content
http://rachana.org.in/statement.html
http://cvr.cc/?p=917

I wish to see such discussions in the gitlab Issue tracker,
<https://gitlab.com/groups/smc/fonts/-/issues> since both Rajeesh and
Santhosh are maintainers of font projects than a statement spead across the
web.
I dont understand how people who understand technology can make public
allegations on volunteer contributions without even filing an issue.

As a person went through the codebases in 2014-15 for relicensing efforts,
I know there is no room for ambiguity till that point. And I don't find
value in most of these allegations raised in the statement
But I value the fact that we need timely reviews on licensing and
separating feature files from fonts, over the technology progress over the
last few years.

Anyway, the following sentence needs attention, since RIT is a new foundry
making use of technology developed by SMC contributors.

"This surrounds the fonts by SMC  and RIT  in Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt
(which the corporate proprietary companies successfully used against free
software for years) and put all the individual users and organizations and
developers using these fonts under legal risk and moral ambiguity."

I wish RIT (Hussain mash/Rajeesh) reached out for clarification
organizationally/in this community than raising such misplaced FUD. As an
organization, we need to clarify this

I propose 3 ToDos. It will be good if active contributors can volunteer to
verify these.

1. Move each of Rajeesh's font licensing allegations to corresponding
gitlab issues. Go through the codebases and resolve them thereafter going
through codebases on its merit
2. Do a Licensing Review on each fonts, (This is pending after 2015) Follow
best practices for AUTHORS & CONTRIBUTORS credits.   Avoid mentioning names
in LICENSE files
3. Separate feature table licensing, (maintaining it with the font is
hard). Let's come up with a clear HOWTO on reusing the code (eg: RIT or
other foundries). So adoption becomes easy.

on Point 4, I see a disturbing wrong articulation of my points raised in
this list in past. So want to clarify the baselines clearly.
1. Glyph formation is a language property,  it is not copyrightable
2. Glyph naming conventions is an innovation. But not copyrightable since
it is an idea (Software is not patentable)
3. Font feature tables as code is an expression and carry copyright to its
authors. Copyright and License are to be preserved while reusing.

Anivar