[smc-discuss] Listing of free fonts

Subin Siby mail at subinsb.com
Wed Nov 27 06:31:17 PST 2019

Akshay S Dinesh wrote:
> > Thanks for the suggestion regarding the details to be included. But I
> > don't think it'll be wise to hardcode the wiki page if all these details
> > are to be included. I thought about automation, but then the page will
> > become non-wiki-like (no direct editing).
>
> This is better maintained as a wiki. We should have generic details like
> font name, foundry/maintainer, repository link, website (if any), formats
> supported (otf/woff, etc). Let us not have "last updated" as that doesn't
> have/give much value in the case of fonts. The information of whether a
> font is unmaintained can be added in remarks. Thus, my suggestion is to not
> leave this to automation, rather keep it a human curated list.
>
> Akshay

I agree. It's better maintained in a Wiki. I heard the DAKF fonts are not
maintained well too. In a Wiki we can just include all this info well and is
easy to manage when new updates come.

We already have a Fonts page in Wiki : https://wiki.smc.org.in/Fonts but it
focuses mainly on the SMC fonts and the other fonts are not well described.
Perhaps expand it ?

I think we can also show example text rendering of the font with custom
mediawiki CSS if the font file is hosted as a resource somewhere on the web.

To get an account in Wiki, please fill up the form https://wiki.smc.org.in/
Special:RequestAccount and ping me. I'll confirm your account.

--
Cheers,
Subin

GPG Key :
C25A DAE4 2A82 084A 828E 0F91 CB17 29D8 C238 8902
https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?
op=get&fingerprint=on&search=0xCB1729D8C2388902