[smc-discuss] Listing of free fonts

Nandakumar Edamana nandakumar at nandakumar.co.in
Wed Nov 27 08:23:54 PST 2019

On 11/27/19 8:01 PM, Subin Siby wrote:
> Akshay S Dinesh wrote:
>>> Thanks for the suggestion regarding the details to be included. But I
>>> don't think it'll be wise to hardcode the wiki page if all these details
>>> are to be included. I thought about automation, but then the page will
>>> become non-wiki-like (no direct editing).
>> This is better maintained as a wiki. We should have generic details like
>> font name, foundry/maintainer, repository link, website (if any), formats
>> supported (otf/woff, etc). Let us not have "last updated" as that doesn't
>> have/give much value in the case of fonts. The information of whether a
>> font is unmaintained can be added in remarks. Thus, my suggestion is to not
>> leave this to automation, rather keep it a human curated list.
>>
>> Akshay
> I agree. It's better maintained in a Wiki. I heard the DAKF fonts are not
> maintained well too. In a Wiki we can just include all this info well and is
> easy to manage when new updates come.

We'll of course start it as a wiki page, but I've some better ideas
(still making it visitor-editable). I'll explain later.

> We already have a Fonts page in Wiki : https://wiki.smc.org.in/Fonts but it
> focuses mainly on the SMC fonts and the other fonts are not well described.
> Perhaps expand it ?
No. It's exclusively for SMC fonts. Besides, it's outside the wiki.
> To get an account in Wiki, please fill up the form https://wiki.smc.org.in/
> Special:RequestAccount and ping me. I'll confirm your account.
Thanks, I will. IIRC, I once used to have an account, but I lost it
since I deleted my Gmail.

--
Nandakumar Edamana
https://nandakumar.org

GPG Key: https://nandakumar.org/contact/gpgkey.asc
GPG Key Fingerprint: BA6B 8FDE 644F F861 B638  3E2F 45D6 05FC 646A F75D