[smc-discuss] Fwd: Urgent Request : Endorsement on Representation against Mandatory Use of Aarogya Setu for Workers

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 00:37:59 PDT 2020

Can we endorse this ?

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Apar Gupta <apar at internetfreedom.in>
Date: Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 12:08 PM
Subject: Urgent Request : Endorsement on Representation against Mandatory
Use of Aarogya Setu for Workers
To: Anivar Aravind <anivar.aravind at gmail.com>
Cc: Devdutta Mukhopadhyay <devdutta at internetfreedom.in>, <
Policy at internetfreedom.in>

Dear Anivar,

I am sending below a request for endorsement by individuals or
organisations to representation (developed in collaboration with labour
unions) being sent to the Government on May Day. This concerns how their
livelihood and participation in the workforce is being made contingent on
the use of the Aarogya Setu App.

It would be great if the Indic Project and any of your partners (as
individuals or organisations) can endorse this. Kindly also circulate it
with individual members of your groups and email lists.

*To endorse individuals or organisations can send, "I endorse the
Representation against Mandatory Use of Aarogya Setu to protect privacy,
autonomy and dignity of workers during COVID-19 outbreak" with
Name/Affiliation to to policy at internetfreedom.in
<policy at internetfreedom.in>.*

*Further details*

As you may be aware, some companies (specially some large technology
companies) have made it mandatory for gig workers to download the Aarogya
Setu mobile app and we fear that others may soon follow suit. The Aarogya
Setu mobile app which collects sensitive personal data relating to a
person’s health and movements does not adhere to data protection standards
and there is no remedy available if it misidentifies a person as at risk of
having COVID-19. The lack of transparency about the app’s underlying code
and algorithms means that false positives could force workers to
self-isolate and lose their income and freedom of movement as a
consequence.

We have explained these privacy and exclusion concerns in greater detail in
the representation we intend to send to the PMO's Office and Ministries of
Labour, Electronics & IT, Home Affairs and Transport. The representation
also seeks measures to provide financial relief and healthcare coverage to
gig and platform workers during the COVID-19 outbreak.

The representation is available here: [English Version
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qCZuE7n7nSKG4smYBeJVaH60j9Pn6jw6rEcuZozxfBQ/edit>]
[Hindi Version
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l_s1oJ80y6HOJbrczRVsRIvNr6Jl3dXWlqjOKqrlUdw/edit>
]

*We would be grateful if you could circulate this email in your networks.
The letter is open for endorsement till 8:00 AM on Friday, 1 MAY 2020.
Please let us know as soon as possible so we can effectively plan advocacy
and outreach around it timing this for May Day.*

Best,

Apar Gupta,

Executive Director, Internet Freedom Foundation
--

[image: Internet Freedom Foundation]

Apar Gupta
Executive Director | Internet Freedom Foundation
mobile: 9990000256
web: internetfreedom.in
email: apar at internetfreedom.in
address: E-215, Third Floor, East of Kailash, New Delhi, 110065

Looking to have sustained conversations on digital rights? Join the
Internet Freedom Forum today. Click here!
<https://forum.internetfreedom.in/>