[smc-discuss] WhatsApp and mental torture in school communities

Nandakumar Edamana nandakumar at nandakumar.co.in
Sat Jun 6 04:57:46 PDT 2020

School communities are forcing WhatsApp on people who do not want to use
it, and the whole move to free software is being hijacked by the overuse
and mandating of WhatsApp in school communities. Anyone in this list
knows how bad a reputation Facebook has, especially after the Cambridge
Analytica issue. Why can't they promote better alternatives like Signal
('better' based on our current understanding). Besides, there are some
people who don't like to use high-end technology at all, the ones like
my mother. I've personally witnessed she being mentally tortured to buy
a smart phone and install WhatsApp, which, she'd managed to resist.

Of course the school community should embrace advancements, but only if
they aren't harmful. Better, they should promote libre alternatives and
provide options so that everybody can participate.

--
Nandakumar Edamana
https://nandakumar.org

GPG Key: https://nandakumar.org/contact/gpgkey.asc
GPG Key Fingerprint: BA6B 8FDE 644F F861 B638  3E2F 45D6 05FC 646A F75D