[smc-discuss] Speech to text tool for Malayalam

Jerin Philip jerin.philip at research.iiit.ac.in
Sun Jun 21 23:40:56 PDT 2020

<https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/2020.lrec-1.789>
Hello,

You might want to look into kaldi as Kavya suggested or deepspeech (Mozilla) which is open source with some active community. Training is GPU heavy.

The following publication provides 24 hour single speaker training data (in Malayalam and 2 additional languages), recorded in studio quality.

https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/2020.lrec-1.789

Experiments in paper are for TTS. The training data works both ways. Contact the authors by email, they might have trained models for deepspeech or kaldi. I know they have Hindi ASR (and TTS) models from an earlier publication<https://cvit.iiit.ac.in/research/projects/cvit-projects/facetoface-translation>, unsure if they have Malayalam model but I'm hoping it's in the works. They can possibly point you in the direction of better libraries and resources, as they're actively working in the space. There is active research (and some development) going on as part of a project there.

Disclaimer: I am in some capacity still part of this group.

--
Jerin Philip