[smc-discuss] Terminal emulator that can display Malayalam

Julin S julinshaji01 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 19:36:07 PDT 2021

Hi.

Is there a terminal emulator for linux that can display Malayalam characters
properly?

I tried gnome-terminal (3.28.2) and konsole (17.12.3) on an Ubuntu 18.04
computer.

Display is almost perfect in konsole except that the letter ന്‍ (a
'chillaksharam') shows up as 'ന്<200d>' in it.

In gnome-terminal's rendering, adjacent letters overlap, making the text
illegible.

My locale is utf8 and the text displays properly in GUI text editors. I can
even create files with Malayalam names which are displayed properly in the
gui
file explorer.So I suppose this problem is not because of the absence of a
suitable font.

And the following packages are already installed:

 - fonts-smc
 - fonts-samyak-mlym
 - fonts-mlym
 - fonts-lohit-mlym

Does anyone know of a way to display Malayalam text properly in terminal?
Using
any terminal emulator for linux?

Thanks.