[smc-discuss] Terminal emulator that can display Malayalam

Julin S julinshaji01 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 07:21:20 PDT 2021

> I ended up using a terminal emulator in the browser

Thanks for telling about web-term. Looks like I can use that. It seems to be
the closest thing that works at the moment. Till a traditional non-browser
emulator gets it right.

> Emacs terminal mode

I searched online and found something [here][1] that can be obtained with `M-x
term`. Is that it?  Possibly a font issue, but even normal Malayalam characters
were showing as weird Latin letters there (like 'ക.txt' being
displayed as 'à´•.txt').

But even TUI programs work in this mode.

> and shell mode

Is it what we get with `M-x shell`? TUI programs wouldn't work in that mode.

Thanks.

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Terminal-emulator.html
[2]: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Term-Mode.html
[3]: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Shell-Mode.html