[L10n] Fwd: Firefox 38 -- The Spring Release

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 01:54:17 PST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeff Beatty <jbeatty at mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 8:58 PM
Subject: Firefox 38 -- The Spring Release
To: dev-l10n <dev-l10n at lists.mozilla.org>

*tl;dr:* Firefox 38 will be a high profile, and highly marketed, release.
L10n for Firefox 38 needs to take place between *March 1**6**-28* to avoid
issues with possible string freeze breaks early in the cycle. L10n-drivers
want to help all locales to ship updates for Fx38, as the extra publicity
will attract new users to your localized products.

Hi everyone,

As many of you are aware, starting this year, there will be a slight change
to the way that Firefox is developed and released. While we will still
follow the six week train release cycle that we're all used to, there will
be two very high profile releases of Firefox per year. These releases will
be similar to the 10 years of Firefox release(33.1)we experienced at the
end of last year: a lot of marketing material and some very specific,
themed feature development. The first of these releases is being called the
"spring release" and it is scheduled for Firefox 38, which will be landing
in Aurora on Monday, 23 February.

The spring release will see a few cool developments for international
users, marketing materials on web parts, and even a new product launch. The
primary feature for the spring release will be an enhanced sync and reading
list feature to facilitate a user's ability to sync their Firefox usage
across multiple platforms. The new product launch will be Firefox on iOS
(another email will be coming about that shortly).

The schedule for the next few cycles is going to be odd. Here are the
basics:

 * Feb 23 - March 30 -- Firefox 38 will spend five weeks in Aurora

     * *March 1**6**-28* is ideal for l10n work.

 * March 30 - May 11 -- Firefox 38 will spend six weeks in Beta.

 * *April 6th - May 12th* -- April 6th will be string freeze for all
   spring release marketing materials (willneed some moredaysto
   havematerial available for translation).

 * May 12 -- Fx38 will go to release.

 * May 11 - June 29 -- This cycle will be 7 weeks in order to catch up
   to the regular schedule after cutting the Fx38 in Aurora cycle short
   by one week.

As stated above, *March 16 - 28* is the most ideal time to complete l10n
work. This is because we anticipate there being some string freeze breaks
in the first week or two of the Aurora cycle. By March 16, all should be
stable enough for l10n to take place without interruption.

As I mentioned, these two releases per year will be very high profile. We
want to help each locale to be up-to-date for Fx38 (both on desktop and
Fennec) and ready to participate in the high profile marketing coverage
that will take place for these releases. This is a great opportunity to
drive traffic to your localized builds and bring even more users over to
the localizations that you have worked so hard to produce and make
available. For a first time user, having a fully localized experience will
be very important to keeping them around.

Please join with us to make this first spring release (Firefox 38) an
incredible experience. Don't hesitate to give us feedback, positive or
negative, so that we can improve on this new process for the next major
release. Also, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have
questions or need any help. Thank you for your service and dedication to
your users, to open source, and to Mozilla.

Thanks,
Jeff

--
*Jeff Beatty*