[Student-projects] Accepted GsoC proposals

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 13:11:26 PDT 2014

Google announced accepted proposals for Google summer of code 2014 today .
We are very happy to announce that there are 5 projects under SMC this year
. To select the most eligible proposals we had to go through some vigorous
discussions. We contacted the students whose proposals we found
interesting, made them make some modifications on their proposal, evaluated
the students based on their proposal, previous contributions, contributions
to other FLOSS projects etc. and finally chose five out of them. It was a
very difficult task for us indeed as all of the proposals were really good
and all of the students were really enthusiastic. All of your participation
is much appreciated.

Selected proposals are

* Alt approach to input text as braille using XKB - Nalin Mentor :

* Improving learning in varnam - Kevin Martin

* Implementing support for various regional language IMEs in Firefox OS -
Praveen Sridhar

* Android SDK for Silpa - Sujith V

* Language Filter for Diaspora - Abhineet Agarwal

Congrats Nalin, Kevin, Praveen Sridhar, Sujith V and Abhneet Agarwal

And happy to see Aboobacker Mk selected in Apertium project for Malayalam
English language pair support. Congrats Aboobakar

Students who are not selected, also can start working on their proposed
projects. We consider all you applicants already as a part of our SMC
community. Hoping to see active participation of you all, in our developer
community

All accepted projects are listed here
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2014