[Student-projects] GSoC 2014 - Student introduction

Anirudh Vemula anirudhfoss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 09:48:42 PST 2014

Hello all,

I am Anirudh Vemula, a 3rd year undergraduate at IIT Bombay, India. My
hometown is Hyderabad and I speak Telugu(partially, one of the reasons I am
interested in SMC). I am doing my Major in Computer Science and
Engineering. My interests, in general, include reading novels, programming
and gaming. In programming, my interests broadly include functional
programming, graphics programming and game programming. I am planning to
pursue higher studies (an MS or PhD) in Machine Learning.

I haven't contributed to any open source project before this but I am sure
GSoC would serve as the best platform to introduce me to this area. I
follow the development of projects such as SimpleCV, Git and PaGMO closely
and I am part of their mailing lists as I use their projects extensively. I
have had my share of experience in Computer graphics. I have completed a
basic ML course and I am currently doing my Advanced ML course at IITB.

I have gone through the list of Project ideas put up in the SOC page. Among
those projects, I really liked the one which tackled the issue of '*Improving
the learning system*' of Varnam. I have played around with the online
Varnam editor and also downloaded the source code of Varnam(libvarnam) from
Gitorius.

The actual improvement that is expected of the student is not mentioned in
the description of the project in the page. I would like to know what is
expected of the student who takes up this project and what is the current
method used by Varnam to suggest the words?

Also, can anyone point me to where I can get instructions to build Varnam?

Thanks
Anirudh