[Student-projects] Implementation feedback [MARC21 in Grandham]

Vidhun Vinod xvidun at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:18:10 PDT 2014

Hey,
I have been working on the proposal for the adding import/export feature to
Grandham. The proposal is mostly done and am looking to submit it.

I would like to get some feedback from the community whether my approach is
right.

I'm mentioning some of my key notes here.

* There are some problems that we will have to solve to implement MARC
record import and export.1. Personalized field names, in indic
languagesAbility for Grandham user to create his MARC-21 reference for use
in the software.Eg. 100 $a(field, subfield) in MARC-21 refers to name, we
keep some default value in database 'Name' while giving the flexibility for
the user to call this name, personal name or any localized format
(integration using i18n, not sure on this though), similarly for every
thing other fields. 2. Migrating to MARC21: Currently Grandham has a system
to process bibliographical information. Implementing MARC21 would mean
migrating the current system architecture to enable to use and process
MARC21 data efficiently. This project should make some workaround to
migrate the current cataloging structure to use MARC21 data structure in
the database completely. As there is a live version of Grandham with a lot
of records running, feature must be added to compile the existing records
into MARC format database to enable the use of existing records as MARC. 3.
MARC recordsMARC21 has a lot of records that will mostly go unused, this
means that we will have to allow the flexibility for the admins to opt out
from using particular fields. Too many fields also means that we have to
restrict the number of fields displayed in the view according to user. 4.
Export data to MARC21 Once we completely migrate Grandham to use MARC21
inherently exporting can be easily handled. Export formats will include
MARC21 and MARCXML Exporting to MARC can also be done based on criteria. 1.
Export all Grandham records. 2. Export records that belong to a particular
library. 3. Export record based on publisher. 4. Import MARC21 The import
function can be handled to import MARC bibliographical data completely. The
user can decide later as to what data can be displayed.*

I've had discussion with mentor Ershad, attached the discussion. Some key
discussion areas to note here are.

1. It was decided upon discussions to import every field from MARC21, any
points as to why not?
2. Will there be any particular need to use MARCXML, I don't see any major
benefits. Probably there should be something.
3. Will there be a need to opt out from exporting a field?

Thanks.