[Student-projects] GSOC 2014. SMC. Inroduction and doubt regarding pre-requisites of 'SILPA Project Improvements'

Navin Thomas navinct123 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 03:19:33 PDT 2014

Hello,
My name is Navin Cherian Thomas. I am a 3rd year Computer Science student
from College of Engineering Trivandrum. The main reason I became interested
in SMC was because of the fact that I am a Malayali. Being born and brought
up in Kerala, I can read and write Malayalam really well and I was hoping
that I could use it to contribute to one of the SMC projects. I believe
that I have a decent expertise in C, C++,Java and a very very basic
knowledge of python. I am willing to learn other languages if required. My
usual interests are in algorithms and data structures.

I went through the Ideas page. I am mainly interested in the 'Integrate
Varnam into Silpa' project and the 'SILPA project improvements'
.<http://wiki.smc.org.in/SoC/2014/Project_ideas#Integrate_Varnam_into_Silpa>Honestly
speaking I am having a slight difficulty in choosing the right
project. As stated earlier, my knowledge in python is very very basic,but i
believe I can learn it within 1 or 2 days. And I also dont know anything
about Flask,Jinja and Javascript. The Silpa improvement project seems to be
more interesting than the integrate varnam project but I currently dont
have the expertise required to undertake it. What I am trying to ask is
that... Is it a must to know Flask,Jinja and Javascript BEFORE the project
starts or do i get the freedom to learn it during the initial stages of the
project?

P.S. - I am extremely sorry in being so late in joining the discussions.

Regards,
Navin Cherian Thomas.