[Student-projects] GSoC'14

Ershad K ershad92 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:09:25 PDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 2:14 AM, Vidhun Vinod <xvidun at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we should import all the data in the given MARC21 record.
>
> This makes sense as it would be easier and more appropriate to import all
> data, or if he needed to list additional data later on he would have to
> import them all over again. We have to probably restrict the data to the
> view.
>
> I'm confused about this. If it's valid in MARC21 to export only the fields
>> which have data, it's completely fine. We need to confirm this.
>
> As far as I know I think this is possible, anyway I'll look into this and
> let you know. Should probably play around a little more with the ruby-marc.
>

>> We could keep a dynamic fields list (in db) and use them with the values
>> in a different table with field's foreign key. We don't have to keep on
>> adding new columns to a table.
>>
> Great, thought of this but as I'm not sure how large the number of fields
> in MARC21 will be, probably do a little more digging. Will have to confirm
> with other people whether to use complete MARC21 or the most used parts
> first. I think we'll have to use everything considering that we have to
> import every information.

Yeah. And the number of fields doesn't matter in that approach, a new field
would add a new row to the fields table and that should be fine.

> I will have to start working on my proposal, any suggestions or things I
> should know before I begin?

Have you considered the possibility of converting MARC21 to
MARCXML? ruby-marc gem could do that and it's a way lot easier to process
and store MARCXML than processing MARC21. Check it out.

> It's probably a good idea to CC student-projects at lists.smc.org.in to get
> some fresh ideas and suggestions, isn't the IRC active?, it was not when I
> tried.

IRC isn't active all the time, let's try to fix that. I've attached our
whole conversation to give other people a proper context.

Cheers.

--
Regards,
Ershad K