[Student-projects] GSoC project on Language model and Acoustic model for Malayalam language for speech recognition system in CMU Sphinx

Kartik A kartik.a9111 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 15:39:07 PDT 2014

Hi Khyati,

A few queries about your plan of action. Please correct me if I am wrong.

a) Data Compilation :- For an acoustic model audio data is a very
significant requirement. Do you have any plan in mind about which databases
you can focus on? You mentioned about transcribing from the audio data. So
if you plan to take audio data that is 4 hours long so will it be manually
transcribed? I think there needs to be setting up of resources before one
can even think of training the Sphinx model.

b) I guess huge amount of annotated audio data can not be gathered for
Malayalam so one has to look into adaptive acoustic modelling for that you
have to make a Grapheme to phoneme mapping, which should look like this:
    മ ല യാ ളം   :  ma la ya La aM
and then map to the phone set Sphinx supports

c) Language Model : There are various straight forward approaches, and yeah
I agree N-gram is still the best amongst them. But what about compiling
data for Language Modelling like a large raw dataset for Malayalam. Is
there any such available dataset except the transciptions of audio data?

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Deepa P.Gopinath <deepapgopinath at gmail.com

Thanks & Regards,
Kartik A.