[Student-projects] Proposing Idea for GSOC16

Akshay S Dinesh asdofindia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 09:48:29 PDT 2016

Hey, this is an interesting idea. I'll just speak as a random programmer
here (not thinking about GSoC) and ask a few questions.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 at 01:00, Jasdeep Chhabra <jasdeepchhabra94 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Indic Project has taken a great initiative in empowering Indian Language
> user in computer,mobile and other devices.I would like to play my part in
> it by proposing a project idea that I would love to work on in GSOC16.
> The Idea is to develop an IDE which lets user type code in

Why develop an entire IDE? Do you actually want to write code for all the
features that IDEs usually come with? Can this be made a plugin for any
popular IDE? Or a script that runs before the build step?

I think you're building IDE because the entire interface can then be in
Hindi. In that case, is it more feasible to translate a popular IDE into
Hindi?

> hindi(meaningful hindi counterparts of english words(words as in
> keywords,methods etc.)) which on a single click would automatically
> translate(and not transliteration i.e. it would be meaningfully translated)
> code to english,compile it using standard compiler and run

I believe you are saying that program written in Hindi will first be
translated to corresponding English and then compiled?
What if there's an error? Will you be able to translate the error messages
back to Hindi? Otherwise, the Hindi programmer would be stuck in error
messages that refer to code that they didn't write, won't they?

> to display output.The idea is to make code meaningful to hindi dominated
> large Indian community in order to expand the coding community and to
> promote a healthy workflow.

Very good inspiration.

> This phase of project will be dedicated to JAVA.The backend will be built
> on JAVA and input would be taken of meaningful Hindi translation of
> JAVA.This can be further extended for any other programming language.
> A rough draft of the project is ready for demo
> https://github.com/jas1994/GSOC-demo
> Note that this is highly crude and raw model and only wants to convey the
> basic idea.

I don't know java programming. But I see you have included an on-screen
keyboard. Why this when we already have native keyboards?

> *Deliverables:*
>
> The final output will be-
>
>    - An Integrated Development Environment(IDE) with a robust hindi
>    typing interface.(Something on lines of Virtual Hindi keyboard.)
>

>    - It will accept input in Hindi(either typed or a .txt file).
>    - A console to display compilation errors and output in Hindi.
>
> Okay, this seems to answer my previous query about translation of errors.
But, how far is it possible to translate?
Let's say a variable declaration goes like `पूर्णांक बहुतबड़ा` (int
veryBig). And I make a spelling mistake like `पूर्णाक बहुतबड़ा`. How will
you translate it to English first? If you can't translate it to English,
how can you get the correct error message here?

>    - The most crucial part,Documentation i.e. the meaningful translation
>    of names of JAVA english keywords,methods etc. of included classes in Hindi
>    and their functionalities in Hindi.This would be much like Java library
>    translated in meaningful Hindi.
>

>    - As JAVA is a vast language with a vast library,translating all the
>    libraries in given time frame is not probable.Many important basic
>    libraries will be translated and others can be included thereafter.

This is also an important point. How can someone who learned basics in
Hindi suddenly switch to English?

>    - The number of translated libraries can be mutually decided which can
>    be increased dynamically as time permits.
>
> This project idea was intended to be proposed at GSOC15 but no
> organisation was fit for it.It stands right upto the spirit of Indic
> project.Hoping for a positive response.

 The idea that people should be able to code in their own language is very
interesting. Nevertheless, people should be able to make meaningful
contributions as programmers. Does this actually help them?

Just questions. I wonder what your views are.

Akshay