[smc-discuss] Re: FSFS conference - some issues which are not raised.

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 10:15:00 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:29 PM, ashik salahudeen <aashiks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi , I am a community member who was present at the venue.
>
>> 1. widespread use of proprietoty packages(like MS office, VISTA) at
>> the conference. i think nobody resisted this at the conference venue
> This , as the organizers have already pointed out the ilug-tvm
> mailinglist , was a mistake on their part. IMHO though , we shouldn't
> force our opinions on anyone.  Be it a speaker

Just 2 Corrections : I came to know from other lists thats 2 instances
of Windows xp usage was happened and Organizers apologised for it

1. At Technology Presentation (for Java FX)
2. At Exhibition (One laptop in SBT Stall)

1. These 2 instances is not Qualifying to call the term "widespread" .
You can call it as some usage.
2. Sunil from ilug-tvm raised the point on Technology track. so
Community already raised it. The failure is from the Organisers. They
also apologised for it

>> 2. regarding the sponsors - there were sponsors like smartcity. what
>> is the role of smart city here at FSFS. they are all the way promoting
>> all the proprietory people in a big way at all the parks promoted by
>> them.
>
> I am not for or against smart city. But i am curious as to who all are
> the proprietory companies being promoted by smart city.

I agree that Real estate Companies like smart city is no way related
with Free Software. Th smart city some values exactly against "Free
Society"  Idea. I believe SEZs like smart city is not needed for
Technological Development. It becomes mandatory for Proprietary
software Development. But for Free Software Development it is
optional. I was involved personally with Campaign against smartcity
earlier because of the reason raised at
<http://smartsez.movingrepublic.org/statement-on-smartcity-sez-cochin-kerala/
> This discussion may be offtopic in this list. But in Relation to
this event. Govt Of Kerala controlled the financial part(ie selected
sponsors). The process was controlled by other Organizers and FS
activists. If you are opposing smartcities involvement in the
conference I am fully supporting you for the protest against Govt of
Kerala for taking smartcity money for its free software conference

>> 3. the amount of money spent for the seminar. i came to know that the
>> total expenditure of the event is around 80 lakhs. i understand that
>> the government has spent huge money for the event.. then why spnsors
>> like smart city? what is the result of this huge expenditure? was it
>> an event for some guys to "become smart"
>
> They ( organizers ) are planning for an open audit , with community
> members included. Already this has been announced in ilug-tvm
> mailinglist, where the issue was raised.

I hope this is agood step towards transparency :-)
>> 5. at the linux install fest at exhibition hall, there were
>> advertisements of Novel and Suselinux. Why no body objected it. i
>> understand that this stall was organised by lug - trivandrum. i
>> remember the big protest happened at CUSAT conference
>
> Since SMC's stall operated next to FSUG tvm ( ilug-tvm) stall and i
> was manning the stall for two days , i can confirm that Novell and
> Suse were not seen anywhere on the premises. This is either based on
> hearsay or is a blatant lie. The only Suse present was inside the
> Freedom Toaster.

Is it OpenSuSE or suse?
I Hope it will be removed soon

>> 6. Many glamourous speakers were not from FOSS community. One of the
>> main speakers is running a company which has most of their development
>> is Microsoft ( and they are a partner of microsoft). why nobody
>> noticed it.
>
> Free and Open Source doesn't mean Non Microsoft . There are many FOSS
> applications that run on Microsoft Windows. Iam curious as to who this
> main speaker is. If you are hinting at Neville Roy Singham ( Cheif of
> Thoughtworks ) i think you havent heard his keynote or do not know
> much about Thoughtworks. wikipedia says " ThoughtWorks is a global IT
> consultancy which focuses on Agile software development. The company
> has contributed a range of open source products, including
> CruiseControl, NUnit 2.0, and Selenium"  . I will upload relevant
> parts of it to youtube over the weekend.

>> my basic doubt is that, what our key people including anivar were
>> silent there.
> Anivar did raise his concern when the situation demanded it.

At first I dont see my self as a "Key Person" . second thing I was not
silent. I was talking a lot of people coming to SMC stall & meeting
and discussing various issues with friends from Free Software
Community. I raised all the issues I wanted to raise on time. And It
will be undemocratic if you decide what I should raise.

> i am having a great admiration towards our members who
>> present there. but no body resisted. are we fearing somebody. Or are
>> we trying to please somebody. it looks very suspecious.

Why dont you show up while A lot of SMC members are there? . If you
raised some convincing reasons  with us. we can raise it in a good
way.

>>The champs who
>> made big noices and protests earlier were all silent here. what does
>> it mean? the ealier protests were all "just media show". I wonder.

SMC  never done any public protests. If you mean some of the smc
members protested at Kochi Conference The reasons are well listed in
my blog. You also didn't raised any convincing reasons for protesting
in FSFS yet. And If you are there and concerned with SMC's position
why dont you approched any of us.

>> can't blame the organisers. they are goverment officials. but what
>> about our volunteers

I didn't get your point? do you mean we have to protest against our volunteers?

Anivar

--
Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free
Software industry because it creates the basis for future jobs.