[smc-discuss] Introducing L10N Quality Analyst

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 08:47:20 PST 2008

പേരു് കേട്ടു് ഞെട്ടണ്ട :)  ഇത്തിരി ജാടയ്ക്കു പറഞ്ഞതാ!
As we discussed, we need some steps to improve the quality of our
translations. As Praveen said, it should not add burden to our friends
too.
So I wrote a small program- a shell script, that takes a PO file as
input and does some quality checking on that.
a) Check whether the file contains common spelling errors, wrong
encoding etc.. This is done based on the error patterns defined in a
companion file - a plain text file with each error pattern per line.
b) For each error detected, print the context, linenumber etc
c) After finishing the error pattern check, check the syntax errors in
the PO file. If any errors print that also.

How to run?
extract the attached file to some folder and run the shellscript. An example:
$./smc-l10n-qa.sh ml-error-patterns.txt /path/to/pofile/zenity.HEAD.ml.po
I have attached the generated report with this mail.

We can use this in any of the following ways
a) Before doing a commit or review, run this program on the PO file.
If any errors are there, attach it to the review request mail. or Even
file a bug assigned to last translator. I prefer using bug tracking
system so that we can track all the PO files
b) Before submitting a PO file to review, each translator runs this
check in his/her machine. Submit the file only if no errors are
reported

The error pattern file and the shell script should be modified and
improved to accommodate more common errors that we find while
reviewing
എന്തു പറയുന്നു?
PS: The attached error file goes to our dear Ragsagar , the last
translator of zenity.

-സന്തോഷ് തോട്ടിങ്ങല്‍