[ilug-tvm] Re: Call for meeting on December 3rd Wednesday

Anoop Jacob Thomas anoopjt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 08:36:31 PST 2008

Here are few poster ideas for FSFS.IN all those who can contribute
please come forward and do it asap. Also friends please send us the
high resolution posters of ODF,OGG, Free Documents and such things,
anything which you think would be good.

Jaganadhan, Hiran and all artists there please follow up.

1. Sharing the cake(cartoon available)
It says about the EULA agreement problems.
---send by Jagannathan
see http://sites.google.com/site/fosslinguist/Home
also the ഗ്നു വര്‍‍ണ്ണമാല (ഗ്നു - ബാലപാഠം) would be good.

2. Piracy/Copyright trouble
Proprietary software scenario
A person gives proprietary software to his neighbor(they look around
if anybody else is watching them). Policemen seeing this, arrests the
person and he is named a pirate.
Free Software scenario
Picture of few people holding hands forming a chain.
Person 1- Hey! Can I have a copy of the software you showed me last
day? Some of my friends too would like to have it.
Person 2-Oh sure, why not. I can give you a copy.
With Caption- "PASS IT ON"

3.Modifying the operating system
Picture of 3 people on one side of a wall and 3 on the other side.
The first three are discussing about how they modified their
software/distro according to their needs. Two(friends) on the other
side are listening to this and seem to be interested. They ask the 3rd
person(who is odd one out here,he too is listening to these
conversations) what he has done to his distro to make it better.
Person 1- I changed my Debian to suit my needs and it works fast now.
Person 2- I did the same to my Ubuntu and its simply amazing now.
Person 3- Thanks for helping me pals, I have tried that with my
gNewSense too and it has made my work easier.
On the other side of the wall
Person 4- Oh! so the operating systems can be changed according to the
user's needs, thats wonderful.
Person 5- It is really interesting.(To the third person) What about
you, what have you done to your distro to make it work better.
Person 6- (Seems confused has nothing to say and thinks to himself).
My computer is getting slower day by day. I think its time for me to
shift to Free Software.

4.Choose Between Two Evils
Picture of two people.
Person1 asking his best friend Person2 for a copy of proprietary software.
Person2 wants to give it but is hesitant because he would be caught.
He has to choose between whether to give the copy and be named a
pirate or not to give the copy and lose his precious friendship.
Person 1- Hey buddy can u give me a copy of the 'Proprietary OS'
Person 2-(thinking to himself) How can I not give him a copy, he is my
best friend. But if i give him a copy, I would become a pirate....What
shall I do....(he is confused and sad)

5.Animals in different places separated by compund walls/fences
talking to each other
A cow- Have you ever stopped to think that all of us live in a gated community?
(picture available but needs to be re-drawn)	idea 5.jpg

6.What would you pay for your software(must be re drawn) Free_Software_1_0.png

7.The 4 Freedoms( written boldly)

8.Is Free Software a Technology, NO, its a Social Movement

9.History--about RMS--why he started GNU project(printer
problem)--established FSF.
The GNU project...The GNU linux operating system.

10.Different distros of GNU/Linux(what are distros)

11.Free Softwares(operating systems) other than GNU/Linux.

12. Giving Proprietary Software free of cost only to school/college
students is like giving them free cigaratees/alchohol or weapons.
(poster available but need to be redrawn) idea 12.jpg

13. Free Software Party (sample available, need to be drawn or need to
get highresolution picture)
	daemon-tux-duke-mozilla.jpg

My artistic talents are very limited(nil), and you may find it in the
ideas also.

--
Anoop Jacob Thomas
9846670945