[gnu.org #351798] Unacceptable behavior of Malayalam coordinator and www-ml administrator

vivekcherian@gmail.com via RT web-translators at gnu.org
Wed Jul 2 15:20:43 PDT 2008

Hi Yavor and Team,

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:04 AM, Yavor Doganov via RT <
web-translators at gnu.org> wrote:

> vivekcherian at gmail.com via RT wrote:
> >

> Please give valid reasons, including, but not limited to:

The reason is that Malayalam translation of the GNU Website does not need a
new co-ordinator. We need volunteers to complete the work not a new
co-ordinator. Period.

My objection was not directed at Shyam or anyone in particular. the point i
wanted to make it that the GNU Malayalam Project does not need a new
co-ordinator nothing more nothing less.

> The "GNU principles" do not say that you can maintain a project for
> 3.5 years achieving nothing.  If other contributors complain, which is
> the case, and they ask for a change, which I find something
> reasonable, it should be no surprise to anyone.

I have already proved to you  through my various correspondences that
various members of the GNU Malayalam Project, myself, Ramki (Debian
Developer), Mahesh.T.Pai and Anivar and Anwar (who were then students of
CUSAT) and a host of others ( I am not mentioning their names) have
contributed in various capacities in various Malaylam l10n efforts.

Please also noted that the first Malayalam localization oriented Software
Freedom Day was organized by me and a few volunteers from FSUG-Kochi in 2005
and the lead speaker was none other than Ramakrishna Reddy  (One of  the
core developers of  the IndLinux Project and presently a software engineer
at Red Hat, Pune).

When I had asked Anivar if he could co-operate with us in any way with the
Software Freedom Day 2005,  he said that he  was not interested as he was
more interested in running Malayalam Localization under the Umbrella of
another NGO that he had founded in his native place.

He asked me and also told me that he would like me and Vimal (who was
formerly my colleague at SPACE-Kerala) to  work as volunteers for his Non
Governmental Organisation (GAIA), an offer I very politely refused as I had
better offers at that point of time.

Vimal was one of pillars of SPACE-Kerala, a role he dons admirably to this
point with full honestly and conviction, as for me after a very short stint
in SPACE-Kerala, I went into the corporate world as a professional Systems
Administrator a role I perform till date.

The grudge that Anivar has against me is understandable and the name calling
that he has performed earlier in here is also understandable.  This is what
is commonly known as professional jealousy.

Anivar has systematically engaged in a game of deception and lies and
spreading mis information about me and  misguiding newer contributors like
Praveen, Shyam and a host of others into projecting me as a villian in front
of the GNU Malayalam community.

> > GNU Malayalam locatisation
>
> Another thing which I've said before: please stop calling the `www-ml'
> project this way.  GNU is an operating system and the localization of
> the various programs, libraries and documentation (many of them are
> not even GNU packages) is not and is not going to be handled by
> `www-ml'.  The `www-LANG' projects are projects for translating
> gnu.org essays and articles -- nothing more, nothing less.

Thank you for clarifying that the GNU Malaylam Project ( which I founded in
2004) and the www-ml project are 2 different  projects.

The GNU Malayalam Project (gmp) will continue to function with it's stated
obejctives of providing comprehensive malayalam support to the GNU operating
system, development of fonts, rendering engine support for desktop
environments and applications, translation of GNU manuals.

The GNU Malayalam Project (GMP) will continue to run independent of any
existing Malayalam l10n project (say the SMC).

As for the www-ml project it can continue with it's objectives of
translating the GNU Website to Malayalam. Nothing more nothing less. ( As
Yavor said).

Kindly presently note that the GNU Malayalam Project (formerly called gmp)
has been renamed to www-ml.

Kindly do either one of the following

1) Rename the www-ml back to gmp as it was earlier when i founded the gmp.

or

2) Create a new project called www-ml which will solely be devoted to
tranlating the GNU Website to Malayalam and rename the present www-ml
project back to gmp.

I do not know how this is going to achieved this but kindly do this at the
very earliest.

--
VivekVC