[smc-discuss] Re: English-Malayalam Wiktionary

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 22:53:09 PDT 2008

Dear Kaippally,

We are least interested whether you reject Linux or not, or whether you
support software freedom or not.

The problem raised here is simple. Once you state that it is released
under the GNU Free Documentation Licence, you cannot say that it can be
used only for non-commercial purposes. If it is published under GNU FDL,
it is available to everyone for any purpose. If you want to enforce
copyright on the photographs Nishad Hussain Kaippally has taken, then
either that should not be put on a page that says it is available under
FDL or the licence should state clearly what is under FDL and what is
not. Otherwise you are contradicting yourself. And it could even be a
violation of the licence.

And as for support, there are at least two other dictionaries that are
stagnating for want of support. It is not the problem with padamudra
alone. Moreover, there is a big crowd out there who do not support
software freedom. Please do not think that anyone who starts a good
project will automatically be supported by everyone else. Hundreds or
thousands of good projects have died for want of support. But people
still do keep trying. I am marking a copy to your personal email id
because you have stated that you do not read the smc list regularly.

Best regards
Sasi

--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India

സ്വതന്ത്ര മലയാളം കമ്പ്യൂട്ടിങ്ങ് - എന്റെ കമ്പ്യൂട്ടറിന് എന്റെ ഭാഷ
പിരിഞ്ഞു പോകാന്‍: smc-discuss-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com