[smc-discuss] Re: [തമാശ]നമ്മളെത്ര ഭാഗ്യവാന്‍മാര്‍....

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 01:51:41 PDT 2008

Santhosh Thottingal wrote:
> ചങ്ങാതിമാരേ,
> [തമാശ]
> കേരള ഗവണ്‍മെന്റ്  മലയാളം കമ്പ്യൂട്ടിങ്ങ് ശ്രദ്ധിക്കാന്‍ തുടങ്ങുമ്പോള്‍
> കര്‍ണ്ണാടക ഗവണ്‍മെന്റും വെറുതെ ഇരിക്കുകയല്ല.
> അവര്‍ ആസ്കി എന്‍കോഡിങ്ങിനുള്ള സ്റ്റാന്‍ഡേഡ് ഉണ്ടാക്കിയിരിക്കുന്നു, ഒരു
> ആസ്കി ഫോണ്ടില്‍ കന്നഡയും ഇംഗ്ലീഷും കൊള്ളിക്കാവുന്ന വിധം. പക്ഷേ
> എഴുതിവന്നപ്പോള്‍ കന്നഡ അക്ഷരങ്ങള്‍ വെയ്കാന്‍ സ്ഥലമില്ല. അപ്പൊ ദാ
> ഇങ്ങനെ ഒരു കുറിപ്പു വെച്ചു സ്റ്റാന്‍ഡേഡില്‍:
> Note: For Kannada numerals a separate font can be provided which
> replace English numerals with ASCII codes 48 to 57.
>
> തമാശയുടെ ഓദ്യോഗിക ഡ്രാഫ്റ്റ് വായിക്കേണ്ടതാണു്
> http://www.karnataka.gov.in/notification/draft-kannada-bi-lingual-code.pdf
>
> [തമാശ]

Kannada Localisation groups like sampada are planning protest against
this. See HP Nadig's Blog
http://hpnadig.net/State-Government-Ten-Steps-Backward

The Govt Document is still a draft and  they are accepting suggestions
from public. I think We must write to Karnataka Govt for Adopting
Unicode . We can point the SMC's work and Kerala Govt's adoption of
Unicode as an example. It will be good if Other language communities
like Indlinux can also write to them. (ccing HP Nadig)

Also for a reference and possible conspiracy theories see old campaign
http://www.gnu.org.in/node/129

M$ can't render kannada well on Unicode yet

Anivar

സ്വതന്ത്ര മലയാളം കമ്പ്യൂട്ടിങ്ങ് - എന്റെ കമ്പ്യൂട്ടറിന് എന്റെ ഭാഷ
പിരിഞ്ഞു പോകാന്‍: smc-discuss-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com