[FSUG-TSR] Fwd: [smc-discuss] ILUG meeting on Sunday, 23rd November 2008

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 21:34:20 PST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: sreenadh_ilug-cochin.org <sreenadh1987 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 9:53 AM
Subject: [smc-discuss] ILUG meeting on Sunday, 23rd November 2008
To: സ്വതന്ത്ര മലയാളം കമ്പ്യൂട്ടിങ്ങ് <smc-discuss at googlegroups.com>

Warm Greetings To The FOSS Community,

We are holding our regular meeting for November on Sunday, 23rd
November 2008.

The Details are as follows

Date : 23/11/2008, Sunday
Time : 2pm - 5:30pm
Venue :
Internet Club
IInd Floor, AMI Trust Bldg,
Broadway Enclave
Broadway,
Kochi-682031
i.e.
Behind Allappat Super Shoppe,
On top of SBT Treasury wing,

A Map showing the venue is available at :

http://www.ilug-cochin.org/content/view/31/

Feel Free to call the numbers below
for any further information
Tel:+91 9995717112 ( Coordinator )
Tel:+91 484 2374862 ( Venue )
Tel:+91 484 4025077 ( Venue )

Introduction to Free Software, Open Source and the GNU Movement.

We start of with our regular discussion on Free Software and related
topics.
This is important for new users.

Agenda : Why ILUG should be "Indian Libre User Group " ?

This is an introspective, since 11 years now, we have never dived deep
into our own minds and thought of where we are heading to. Probably
this is one time
when we are thinking of changing our name and reinforcing our
principles, which are what the community is important for. We will
think about how we being part of the Free Software Community,
we need to move forward.

Technical Presentation 1: " Learning PHP " by Binny
                                       www.php.net

PHP is a Server-side HTML embedded scripting language. It has become
popular over the last several years. And has also proved to be a
powerful combination with the components of the LAMP stack. Binny with
his experience in working with PHP over the years will guide us
through an overview of the language and some important topics which
would mostly comprise of the following :
- Introduction to LAMP Stack
- Hello World Program
- Variables, Arrays, Associative Arrays
- Operators
- Control Flow : If, For, Foreach, While, Switch
- Functions
- OOPs in PHP
- Class and Objects
- PHP Help Manual
- File Handling : Open, Read, Write, Close
- String and Array Manipulation
- Numbers (Rounding, Random, etc)
- Date/Time Functions
- Database Connectivity
- Introduction to Databases
- MySQL: Creating a connection, Executing Queries, Fetching the Result
of
Quries as Array, List, Objects
- PHP and Web
- Embedding PHP into HTML Page - <?php ?>
- Handling Form Submissions GET/POST

Technical Presentation 2 : "PS Utilities" by Sameer
                                       http://tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi/

PS Tricks is one explosive package that has a wide range of utilities
helpful in creating wonderful documents, graphs, 3D objects,
mathematical figures, circuits etc.. The presentation will through
light on using pstricks to manipulate documents covering the
following important topics :
- Merging documents
- Selecting pages
- Changing document orientation
- Creating booklets

We will have our Q&A Session after the Technical Presentation.

We have very good presentations aligned for everyone this month. Make
sure you reach there on time.

We look forward to your participation for this exciting meeting!!!

Hoping to meet you all on Sunday

Website : www.ilug-cochin.org
IRC : #ilugkochi on irc.freenode.net
ML : mailinglist at ilug-cochin.org

Regards,
Sreenadh

Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free Software
industry because it creates the basis for future jobs. Learning Windows is
like learning to eat every meal at McDonalds.