[fsug-tvm] Re: Fwd: How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps

ashik salahudeen aashiks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 03:49:06 PST 2009

The Community strikes back ... There is a discussion
<http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=123495347530749&w=2> well under
way in KDE-Core-devel ( the core kde development mailinglist ) and i believe
that they have figured out a way to solve this. This is how community works
:) . It responds quickly and effectively. Althogh the author of the article
does say this
"The security of Linux is always mentioned as a good reason to switch. And
in fact, I still agree with that argument. I believe that Linux itself is
definitely much more secure (note how these vulnerabilities are in Gnome and
KDE, not in Linux itself). There is noticably less malware out for Linux.
There are several reasons for that:

 * Linux as the core OS is more secure.
 * There is much more diversity in the potentially more vulnerable desktop
environments.
 * Linux has a smaller market share.

The second point is often overlooked: Whatever works on one version of Linux
doesn't work on the other. Linux has a small market share, but those who run
Gnome and KDE have an even smaller percentage of that, and so on. And
servers, which don't run a desktop component, are very secure indeed.

Security vulnerabilities (buffer overflow, this or that) always will exist,
Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OS X, it doesn't matter. Often, the published
vulnerability list for Linux includes those of the many available or bundled
apps, while those for Windows only include those of the core OS, that should
also be taken into account. Linux security is much better than it appears in
that respect.

I'm still of the opinion that a switch to Linux will greatly enhance
everyone's security and reduce the amount of concerns that they have to have
about malware. However, as Linux users we cannot be complacent or rest on
our laurels. Linux security is much better than that of Windows, we just
have to make sure it stays that way."

Groups "ilug-tvm" group.
ilug-tvm-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com

For details visit the website: www.ilug-tvm.org or the google group page: http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en