[smc-discuss] Re: latex malayalam support - aka fix debian release notes pdf

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 11:12:13 PST 2009

I have never used dblatex. I used to use malayalam-0.9.6.tar.gz (or
malayalam-0.8.tar.gz earlier), which provided for Malayalam
transliteration. Nowadays, I use the Omega Malayalam package
malayalam-omega-1.0.2.tar.gz package that allows you to type in
Malayalam and compile using lambda instead of latex. In the former, you
use the command \usepackage[rachana]{malayalam} if you want old lipi and
run a pre-processor called mal before compiling with latex or pdflatex.
Here, you need to mark the starting point of Malayalam with the tag <m>
and end Malayalam with the tag </m>. In the case of Omega, you give
\usepackage[oldlipi]{omal} if you want old lipi and you denote Malayalam
with the command \mal. And if you want to change the language to
English, you give the command \eng. Then you compile it with the command
lambda and you will have to convert the dvi file you get to ps or pdf.
In Debian, you can install omega simply with apt-get install
texlive-omega. Please feel free to write if you need more help.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India