[smc-discuss] Re: latex malayalam support - aka fix debian release notes pdf

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 15:18:06 PST 2009

13 February 2009 11:12 AM നു, V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf at gmail.com> എഴുതി:

> I have never used dblatex. I used to use malayalam-0.9.6.tar.gz (or
> malayalam-0.8.tar.gz earlier), which provided for Malayalam
> transliteration. Nowadays, I use the Omega Malayalam package
> malayalam-omega-1.0.2.tar.gz package that allows you to type in
> Malayalam and compile using lambda instead of latex. In the former, you
> use the command \usepackage[rachana]{malayalam} if you want old lipi and
> run a pre-processor called mal before compiling with latex or pdflatex.
> Here, you need to mark the starting point of Malayalam with the tag <m>
> and end Malayalam with the tag </m>. In the case of Omega, you give
> \usepackage[oldlipi]{omal} if you want old lipi and you denote Malayalam
> with the command \mal. And if you want to change the language to
> English, you give the command \eng. Then you compile it with the command
> lambda and you will have to convert the dvi file you get to ps or pdf.
> In Debian, you can install omega simply with apt-get install
> texlive-omega. Please feel free to write if you need more help.

The problem was not in tex itself, but they used ttf-malayalam-fonts
from etch (caught by Santhosh in his first mail). I was able to create
pdf in my local system with new fonts in lenny. I have asked the
debian folks to use ttf-malayalam-fonts from lenny, it is upto the
www.debian.org admins to decide that now.

Thanks for your inputs.

- Praveen

--