[OT] Re: [smc-discuss] How do browsers show fonts?

Srihari k harisulthan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 08:40:29 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Rajeesh K Nambiar
<rajeeshknambiar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Srihari k <harisulthan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Santhosh Thottingal
>> <santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> For your information, AnjaliOldLipi is not the font used in Malayalam
>>> wikipedia. Malayalam wikipedia does not use any font as such but the
>>> readers use font.  It just provide the unicode data. A user can use
>>> *any* unicode font for reading it.
>>> Thanks
>>> Santhosh
>>
>> @Santhosh
>>
>> Could you please explain a bit more about how a browser shows
>> malayalam characters ?
>>
>> When i have more than one malayalam font installed which font will be
>> shown on firefox for malayalam?
>>

> Depends on the system preferences. You can prefer one font over
> another at the OS level and/or at the browser level.
>
>> Is it possible to use different fonts(or font sizes) for different
>> languages to be shown in a browser?

> Try "Edit->Preferences->Content->Fonts&Colors->Advanced".

Tried already ; ) .. Doesn't work as expected.

>> I faced these questions when because of following problem:
>> I installed malayalam font meera in firefox . Malayalam started to
>> appear in firefox. But malayalam letters are too small.So i have to
>> zoom the page for reading them.But by zooming english text becomes
>> larger..So is there a way to change displayed font sizes in for
>> malayalam alone in firefox?
>>

> Try setting font sizes in the above mentioned configuration. Though I
> failed to notice any difference it made.

Same here ... Failed to notice any difference.. Malayalam characters
are still half the size of english characters .

I proceeded to  Edit->Preferences->Content->Fonts&Colors->Advanced

And set it to :
Fonts for : Malayalam
Proportional: Sans Serif                                              Size:14
Serif:Meera
Sans-serif: Meera
Monospace:Meera                                                      Size:14
                                           Minimum font size:14

[checked] Allow pages to choose their own fonts,instead of my selections above
Character encoding: Unicode(UTD~8)

Even after these settings my malayalam characters are too small in firefox.