[OT] Re: [smc-discuss] How do browsers show fonts?

Rajeesh K Nambiar rajeeshknambiar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 21:35:23 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Srihari k <harisulthan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Santhosh Thottingal
> <santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:10 AM, sonu jacob <sonujcb at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>>>                 2. Try another unicode font (anjali old lipi - used in
>>> wikipedia, )
>>

>> For your information, AnjaliOldLipi is not the font used in Malayalam
>> wikipedia. Malayalam wikipedia does not use any font as such but the
>> readers use font.  It just provide the unicode data. A user can use
>> *any* unicode font for reading it.
>> Thanks
>> Santhosh
>
> @Santhosh
>
> Could you please explain a bit more about how a browser shows
> malayalam characters ?
>
> When i have more than one malayalam font installed which font will be
> shown on firefox for malayalam?

Depends on the system preferences. You can prefer one font over
another at the OS level and/or at the browser level.

> Is it possible to use different fonts(or font sizes) for different
> languages to be shown in a browser?

Try "Edit->Preferences->Content->Fonts&Colors->Advanced".

> I faced these questions when because of following problem:
> I installed malayalam font meera in firefox . Malayalam started to
> appear in firefox. But malayalam letters are too small.So i have to
> zoom the page for reading them.But by zooming english text becomes
> larger..So is there a way to change displayed font sizes in for
> malayalam alone in firefox?

Try setting font sizes in the above mentioned configuration. Though I
failed to notice any difference it made.

> Or should i learn more about fonts?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Srihari K
>
> --
> സ്വതന്ത്ര മലയാളം കമ്പ്യൂട്ടിങ്ങ് - എന്റെ കമ്പ്യൂട്ടറിനു് എന്റെ ഭാഷ
> സംരംഭം: https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/smc
> വെബ്‌സൈറ്റ് : http://smc.org.in  IRC ചാനല്‍ : #smc-project @ freenode

Cheers,
Rajeesh