[smc-discuss] CDAC goes ahead with 5.1 Inscript Keyboard

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Tue May 11 01:10:50 PDT 2010

2010/5/11 JAGANADH G <jaganadhg at gmail.com>:
> Inscript is supposed o be the standard keyboard layout.
> (I am not saying that the modified one :-) )

I have questioned the logic of the whole exercise itself in the
critique mentioned in earlier mails.

Just quoting important section from the doc,

"Even if the proposed inscript layout changes are accepted, the users
will ultimately decide which encoding to use based on their choice of
unicode version and Malayalam font. If at all there is any chance of
success, that would be allowing only one way of entering a particular
character - but that would mean breaking compatibility with old
version of inscript layout as well as different versions of unicode.
Since the problem originates at unicode and in fonts, the soultion
also has to happen at the same place."

Why do we even do this? What happens if someone decides to use
Swanalekha? How is this standardisation of inscript keyboard layout
going to help? They are trying to fix problems introduced by Unicode
with keyboard layout standardization! ഇരുട്ടു് കൊണ്ടു് ഓട്ടയടയ്ക്കുക
എന്ന പോലുള്ളൊരു പരിപാടി.

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
(as seen on /.)