[smc-discuss] CDAC goes ahead with 5.1 Inscript Keyboard

JAGANADH G jaganadhg at gmail.com
Tue May 11 01:40:46 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Praveen A <pravi.a at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/5/11 JAGANADH G <jaganadhg at gmail.com>:
> > Inscript is supposed o be the standard keyboard layout.
> > (I am not saying that the modified one :-) )
>
> I have questioned the logic of the whole exercise itself in the
> critique mentioned in earlier mails.
>
> Just quoting important section from the doc,
>
> "Even if the proposed inscript layout changes are accepted, the users
> will ultimately decide which encoding to use based on their choice of
> unicode version and Malayalam font. If at all there is any chance of
> success, that would be allowing only one way of entering a particular
> character - but that would mean breaking compatibility with old
> version of inscript layout as well as different versions of unicode.
> Since the problem originates at unicode and in fonts, the soultion
> also has to happen at the same place."
>
> Why do we even do this? What happens if someone decides to use
> Swanalekha? How is this standardisation of inscript keyboard layout
> going to help? They are trying to fix problems introduced by Unicode
> with keyboard layout standardization! ഇരുട്ടു് കൊണ്ടു് ഓട്ടയടയ്ക്കുക
> എന്ന പോലുള്ളൊരു പരിപാടി.

Keyboard standardization will ahppen in one side.
But the standardization people dont know the users choice .
If somebody or  a large group  uses svanalekha whet govt. or standardization
agancies cando?. Absolute void().
The problems which appears due to the Unicode 5.1/5.X is not at all solvable
with a keyboard :-)

--
JAGANADH G