[smc-discuss] Typewriter Malayalam keyboard layout

Sebin Jacob sebinajacob at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 06:52:35 PDT 2010

Though you have placed two images, both tend to be the same. Either it is
with shift, or without shift, of which, I am not sure enough.

I suppose, this is Remington keyboard layout.

Supersoft Thoolika had provided a remington layout for Ascii encoding. The
layout is available here:

http://www.supersoftweb.com/Images2/KeyboardLayout/M_kbd_r.gif

They later developed a modified version of this layout to input Unicode
which is available here:

http://www.supersoftweb.com/images2/KeyboardLayout/U_KBD_RM.gif

To clarify, the below image is the key positions without using shift key:

http://ralminov.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/mlinremi.jpg?w=792

The below image is the key positions with shift key:

http://ralminov.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/mlinremishft.jpg?w=792

I suppose, you need this layout. If not, please correct me.

If you are confident enough in creating the layout by yourself, please do
read this tutorial:
http://hektor.umcs.lublin.pl/~mikosmul/computing/articles/custom-keyboard-layouts-xkb.html

If you are in KDE, kcharselect would help you to find the assigned
codepoints for each letter in unicode. I do not know the gnome equivalent of
the same.

Awaiting reply,
Yours truly,
Sebin